I wanted to accommodate all the Whole 30-er’s, Keto-er’s, and Paleo-er’s. That means it’s salad time! I am so excited that this delicious grilled chicken salad fits into all these diets! I’m always looking for a good salad, because they make great lunches the next day. And there’s nothing quite as convenient as a good dinner that becomes an awesome lunch 🙂
I used my Instant Pot to cook the chicken. It is so quick and easy to use, I find myself pulling it out all the time! If you don’t have one yet, definitely jump on that bandwagon!!!! I swear it’s one of the greatest things ever! You can cook ANYTHING in it. Seriously.
Plus, the meat is so tender and juicy when cooked this way. Of course, if you don’t have an Insta Pot you can always pan cook the chicken with a little olive oil on medium to high heat.
Side note, I was pretty bad about taking pictures this time! I got distracted by how good everything smelled!
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 cups romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
1 large cucumber diced
2 Roma tomatoes diced
1 avocado sliced
1/3 cup pitted black olives
Lemon wedges to serve (optional)
- Mix all marinade/dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Pour half into a large, shallow dish for the marinade. Refrigerate the other half for the dressing.
- Add chicken to the large shallow dish. Marinate for at least 20 minutes (the longer you let it sit the more flavor it will have!).
- While letting the chicken sit, mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil to your Instant Pot and place on the saute setting. Brown the chicken breast on each side (about 2 minutes per side). Remove from pot.
- Add the marinade to the Insta Pot. Place the trivet in the pot and the chicken on top.
- Close the pot, set the valve to sealing, select the manual or pressure cook option (depending on your Insta Pot), pick high pressure, and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally for about 8 minutes, then quick release the steam, open the pot and remove your chicken.
- Allow chicken to cool. Slice and add to the salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining untouched dressing.
Tips & Tricks:
- The browning step can be skipped. It adds TONS of flavor, but if you’re on a time crunch, it’s not necessary!
- Let the pressure release naturally from the Instant pot. This will help the chicken be moist and finish the cooking process.
- If your chicken is super thick (more than about 4-4.5 cm) add more cooking time!
- Keep the marinade at the bottom of the pot when you’re done. It’s now a super flavorful soup or stew ingredient!
I really like the nice light flavor of this recipe. And it’s really great that you can add whatever ingredients you want to the salad! I’m thinking for lunch I might add a few cranberries. Yummmm!!
Give it a try and let me know what you add! 🙂